Dates & Photographs
of Historical Interest

  Artist Retreats
  Art Forms - Visual/ Music
  Town Hall Theatre
  Heritage - People
  Heritage - Places
  Important Dates


Source : Kiltimagh - Our Life & Times' a detailed account of the history of Kiltimagh from the late nineteenth century.  Order your copy here

1239 - Kiltimagh part of the Barony of Gallen

1500's - Parish church at Killedan is destroyed by fire and rebuilt

1608 - Fransiscan Friary at Killedan has its lands seized

1646 - Fransiscans return to Killedan

1650's - Ormsby family arrive

1731 - "Report on the state of Popery in Ireland" records one priest ministering in Killedan and there is one mass house.

1798 - Two local men, Browne and Gill of Garryroe join French forces and are captured after defeat at Ballinamuck, Co Longford.

1799 - Thomas Ormsby, Ballinamore compensated for losses suffered during 1798 disturbances

1799 - Raftery born at Killedan

1825 - Handball Court built in Kiltimagh

1829 - Only three Kiltimagh people qualify to vote - Richard NcNicholas, John Mimey, and Patrick Dillon

1831 - Population of parish recorded at 6,162

1835 - Death of Raftery

1835 - Five schools recorded in the parish with enrolment of 532

1837 - First Ordnance Survey map of Kiltimagh published

1839 - Kiltimagh suffers damage in 'Night of the Big Wind'

1840 - Formation of Swinford Poor Law Union to which Kiltimagh will have two elected members

1846-47 - From October '46 to April '47 400 deaths occur in parish due to the famine

1848 - 145 people evicted in Treenagleragh by Earl of Lucan

1851 - Census shows devastation of famine results in population drop of 20% in 10 years

1879 - 20,000 attend land agitation meeting in Kiltimagh. Land League has 700 members in Kiltimagh

1880 - 2,500 in danger of starvation due to famine

1881 - Local woman Kate Byrne shot by RIC during during riot at Treenaglersgh

1885 - First pig fair

1887 - Kiltimagh GAA Club formed

1887 - Many injured when police attack peaceful land march in the town

1888 - Church of The Holy Family is dedicatedRailway Station

1889 - Land League hut erected by local committee for Tom Kelly, Pollagh who was eveicted

1887 - Newtownbrowne school opened

1895 - First train officially stops at Kiltimagh station (picture opposite).

1895 - Names selected for streets of the town

1897 - Arrival of St Louis sisters

1898 - Branch of Gaelic League formed

1901 - 7,000 attend big nationalist meeting in Market Square

1903 - Convent National School opens

1909 - Jim Kelly is World Handball Champion

1914 - Company of Irish Volunteers formed in Kiltimagh

1914 - Kiltimagh GAA Club win their first conty c'ship beating Ballina in the Junior final

1916 - Five men are killed in train crash outside Kiltimagh

1916 - Following Easter Rising Sean Corcoran arrested and deported to prison in England

1917 - Ruane and CorcoranTwo Volunteers from Kiltimagh arrested for drilling, charged with illegal assembly and with being members of an illegal organisation.  They are Seán Corcoran (Brigade O/C) and Thomas Ruane (Vice Brigadier).

1914-1918 - Eight Kiltimagh men known to have died in World War 1

1920 - Bohola RIC Barracks burned down by Kiltimagh Battallion of IRA

1921 -

  • Town terrorised by Black and Tans
  • Sean Corcoran shot dead by RIC
  • British troops surround church during mass but local activists escape
  • Auxillaries occupy business premises on Main St

1922 - Free State Officers Lt. Jack Benson, Capt. Jim Ruane and Serg. John Byrne (picture below).Benson, Ruane, Byrne

1922 -

  • Death of fr Denis O'Hara
  • Comdt. Tomas Ruane shot dead by republicans
  • Republican ambush at Ballinamore results in 26 being captured by Free State Army

1923 -

  • One innocent man killed in ambush at Kinaffe that goes wrong
  • A second ambush at Glore leaves an innocent girl seriously injured along with one Free State soldier dead, three injured and six republicans injured
  • Kiltimagh railway station burned down

1923 (January 15th) - Death takes place of Captain James Higgins, National Army, Kiltimagh, after aCaptain James Higgins period of illness in the Military Hospital, Claremorris.  The 25 year old captain was in charge of transport in Swinford and joined the Volunteers as a teenager (picture opposite right).

Sean Lavan1924 - Sean Lavan represents Ireland at the Olympic Games in Paris (picture left).

1925 - Cottage Hospital becomes permanent Garda barracks

1926 - Gene Tunney, whose parents came from Kiltimagh becomes World Heavyweight Champion

1928 - Sean Lavan captains Irish Olympic team in Amsterdam

1933 - Street violence follows results of General Election

1935 - First radio broadcast from Mayo is a concert from St Louis Convent

1938 - Sisters of St John of God purchase Ballinamore House

1943 - William Walsh, the Labour candidate, defeated in General Election

1944 - Kiltimagh Brass Band at Friary Grounds, Ballyhaunis

Kiltimagh Brass Band - Spring 1944
Back row (L to R): Tony Dever, M. P. Coyle, Mattie Ruane, James Conlon, Stephen Garvey, Art O'Neill, Michael Murtagh, Frank Walsh, Sean She.
Front row (L to R): Paddy Cafferty, C. Lyndon, Liam McDonagh, M. L. Stritch, Tom O'Neill, Pat Maher, John McDonagh.  Mascot: Master Ruane.

1944 - Tragedy sees eight people die in fire at Ruane's, Main Street.Mr. Micko Kelly, Postman

1944 - Opening of Savoy Cinema

1945 - Woman killed by a train at the level crossing

1947 - Catherine Clarke, Aiden St leads INTO during national teachers strike as president

1947 - Worst blizzard in living memory hits country in Feruary/March

1953 - Irish Spinners factory opened

c1953 - Mr. Micko Kelly collecting the post at Kiltimagh Station (opposite)

1955 - Kiltimagh Fire Brigade formed

1956 - Sean Lavan - medical officer for Irish Olympic team.

1961 - Diamond Ballroom opens

1961 - Treenagleragh National School opens

1962 - Opening of new Fire Station

New Fire Station
From left to right: John Joe Walsh (Station Officer), Paddy Murtagh (Sub-Station Officer), Billy Conroy, P. J. Murtagh, Johnny Kelly, Mikie Joe Kilduff, Denis Charlton, Jimmy Kelly

1968 - 'Coillte Come Home' festival draws thousands to the town

1974 - Ballinamore House handed over to Western Care

1974 - Liam McDonagh provides multi-channel television to the area

1976 - Official opening of Gilmartin GAA Park

1977 - Tom Jordan chosen as Mayo Man of the Year

1983 - Kiltimagh Community Radio (KCR) on the air for summer months

1984 - Official opening of Town Hall Theatre

1985 - Farah Manufacturing Company announce plans to set up in Kiltimagh

1985 - Kiltimagh twinned with Craughwell, Co Galway

1988 - Community Centre sports complex opened

1988 - Quaker City String Band make first visit for St Patrick's Day parade

1989 - IRD Kiltimagh launched

1989 - Town Museum opened on June 18th by Boston businessman Mr. Tom Flatley, a native of the parish and one of the many emigrants who left for America in the 1950's.

Town Museum

1991 – IRD wins ESB Community Enterprise award for its development plan

1993 - CMS Peripherals sets up operation in Kiltimagh

1996 - Brian Mooney wins Mayo Man of the Year award

1996 – IRD wins National AIB Better Ireland award

2000 – CMS purchase and move into the former Farah factory.

2003 – Kiltimagh is one of 19 towns to have fibreoptic broadband facilities installed

Source : Kiltimagh - Our Life & Times' a detailed account of the history of Kiltimagh from the late nineteenth century  Order your copy here


Content Copyright © IRD Kiltimagh 2003. All rights reserved.


 Design and Hosting by Sigma Group